campout.

_MG_5777 _MG_5806 _MG_5782 _MG_5816 _MG_5794 _MG_5823

This last weekend our ward congregation at church held our annual campout at Tilden Regional Park. The Park is just up in the hills, and only a five or ten minute drive from our home. It's the most perfect escape, and you feel completely secluded beneath those eucalyptus and redwood trees. It's always fun getting friends together- and when you add in a campfire, a full moon, and happy kids- it's pretty  magical.

I loved watching Eliza, especially since this was her very first campout exactly one year ago. I remember being nervous about taking such a young baby, but she loved it. And, this time she loved it even more. She was really into watching the fire, and trying to follow the big kids around. When it got late, she fell asleep in the Ergo and my heart pretty much melted while I got to hold her for a couple of hours before we went to bed. She never falls asleep in my arms anymore!

I mean, don't get me wrong. It's not like we got a perfect sleep. But, nobody gets a good night sleep on a campout, right? Eliza is a big mover when she sleeps, and so she was rolling all over us. Like, on top of us. I don't really know how she does that in her sleep, it's pretty crazy.

So, when she woke up at 5:30 in the morning super freaked out and crying because it was dark and we were in a weird place, I was super stressed about waking up the whole camp. But, I calmed her down by scratching her back, and she curled up next to me. That's when she heard them. The owls. There were so many of them! Her eyes got as big as saucers, and a little smile creeped across her lips. The three of us laid there, all bundled up in our sleeping bags, and listened to the owl in the trees. And every once in awhile she would softly whisper back, "Hoo, hoo.."

Ever since that night she has been obsessed with owls. She calls them "Hoo"s, and points them out everywhere. I'm so grateful for this beautiful place that we live in, and for the opportunities we have to share such beauty with our little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment