new york city.


So, ladies and gentlemen, we have arrived in the big city. I am sitting in the cutest sublet in Hamilton Heights trying to decide where I can possibly start to explain this past week. For starters, we packed up our home in Utah and drove it across the country in a big, lumbering Penske truck. After the first day of driving, Sam decided that he was not ever going to hand over the wheel (and, I was perfectly fine with that). There were many tears and hard hugs in Utah, and many more tears to come as we pulled away. I really won't even mention our farewell to Goldie, because it was just about the most difficult thing I have ever had to do. Sam and I had been so excited and caught up in all the packing and planning, that the emotions involved in "leaving" completely took me by surprise. I felt like someone pulled the rug out from under me.

We rolled our way across the country in a truck that pulled to the right and cost us so much extra in tolls. We stopped in Madison to see family, and recharge. And then, yes we made it to the city! This photo was my first view from the George Washington Bridge. I have only been to NYC once when I was 10, for a school field trip. So, I honestly don't remember anything except that I had a blast and I went home with a foam Lady Liberty crown.

The past few days have been completely beautiful and utterly exhausting. It's the little things that make me slightly squeal and think to myself, "Wow, we're really doing this." Picking up chinese take-out around the corner after a long day of unpacking, watching a young smiling accordionist and his daughter playing on the subway, running my hands along the beautiful things in SoHo, and hauling groceries across Manhattan in brown paper bags. At the end of the day, I feel like passing out at 7 o'clock at night, completely exhausted by all the excitement. Somebody pinch me. This is it.

I promise I won't sound like a crazy tourist forever. But, give me a little time to word vomit about the little things. I'm excited to become a New Yorker, but right now I am just loving being a newbie. By the way, I've got the shop open again. And (lucky you) we're offering a 10% discount in honor of our relocation! Just use the code "NYC2012" at checkout.

2 comments:

  1. i cannot tell you how excited we are to have more utah-to-east coast transplants. i love NYC so much! and more reasons to visit! so excited for your new adventure. we should plan a fun summer getaway somewhere on the east coast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELCOME! I am so sad I wasnt there to be part of the greeting party. We are so excited to have you...and I promise you will FALL IN LOVE with this place.

    ReplyDelete