snow

_MG_5968
_MG_5911 _MG_5938 _MG_5994 _MG_5947 _MG_6011

The moving truck took much longer than we thought- but luckily, it meant that we had a longer stay in Utah with the family. Although, it just happened to be the coldest winter Utah has experienced in years. COLD- as in 4 degrees cold. Growing up in Texas, I don't do well with cold. Over the years, living in Utah and New York, I've come to (somewhat) embrace the chill. Well, let's admit it. The embracing mostly takes the form of nice leather boots and pretty pea coats. 

In the five years that I lived in Utah, I never once went to the multiple ski resorts in the area. It's really pathetic, I know. I always said that I didn't want to get hurt and have to sit out a semester in the dance program. But I think that it really comes from a lazy place in my heart where I don't feel like falling on my face over and over in the snow, knowing that it would never really be fun until I got good. I was always a little jealous of Sam when he would take off during his lunch break to snowboard at Sundance (only a 10 minute drive from his office). 

But, on our last visit I took my first baby steps into winter play! Sam and I went snowshoeing with his mom, at magic hour nonetheless. There's something to be said about warm clothes and good gear. You forget why you hate the cold and can't quite believe how still and quiet the air feels, or how the pale sun spreads through the branches piled high with the tiniest flakes. 

Maybe someday I will graduate to the bunny slopes. But for now, all I see are record lows in Utah and a huge snowstorm on it's way to NY. Not to rub it in, but I'm feeling pretty good about the fact that I may have retired my winter coats for awhile. 

1 comment:

  1. That's the way to do it. Enjoy the snow when you visit other people. Then go home. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete