lemon cookies.

We are back! It was an amazing weekend, but it might take a couple of days to get the pictures together. There is so much exciting goings-ons in the Gray household right now, so I apologize if my posts seem a bit scattered. Sam and I are working on a big, BIG project that will be revealed pretty soon. I am so excited about it, I just might explode.

_MG_2469

Tonight we had the Smiths over for dinner. It was quick, but I was so happy to see them. Stacie was my very first roommate in the dorms my freshmen year, and I haven't seen her in a long time. Too long, to be exact. I made these cookies, and upon request, I am sharing the recipe. This was one of my favorite recipes that my Daddy used to make for me. You really need to try them. They are absolutely perfect.

(Big) Lemon Cookies
We call them "Big" lemon cookies because they really must be big. You may say, "Oh, but I would much rather just make smaller cookies and get more out of the recipe." No, my dear-- quality over quantity. Make them big, and you will be very happy you did.

2 1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c butter, softened
3/4 c granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tbs grated lemon peel (2 lemons), divided
1 tsp vanilla
1 c powdered sugar
4-5 tsp lemon juice
additional sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Combine Flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. Beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, 1 tablespoon lemon peel, and vanilla until well blended. Beat in flour mixture on a low speed, until well blended.

3. Divide the dough into 1-2 inch balls (should make about 9-12 cookies). Place balls on ungreased cookie sheet, 3 inches apart. Flatten the dough balls with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in additional granulated sugar.

4. Bake for 12 minutes, rotating pan halfway. Time will vary depending on the altitude and oven. I love these cookies so much that I usually stay near the oven and check constantly. It is a real tragedy when they get too crispy. Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes, and transfer to wire rack. Cool completely.

5. Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of lemon peel. The measurements are not specific. I would start with powdered sugar and add juice until you get a glaze-like consistency. Drizzle over cookies, and let stand until icing sets. It will drip onto counter surface.

I hope these cookies make you smile.
If you try them, let me know! I would love to hear any suggestions or successes.
I hope you all had a beautiful Memorial Day weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I finally found the perfect way to put the icing on in skinny lines....the squeeze bottles they use to serve ketchup in diners. You can get a clear one for a dollar at BB&B. I use that bottle for everything!

    ReplyDelete